Monday, July 23, 2012

I Love Paris

News to report on Paris: the Parisians, like the New Yorkers, have become friendly, polite and altogether nice. Our hotel staff couldn't be more pleasant. The Metro is staffed with young information assistants who are students doing internships. The one who walked with us to the right Metro platform was at the same university as Sarcozy (but he failed the course, we were told)

We spent yesterday playing tourist--up to Montmartre, a cruise along the Seine, dinner on the Left Bank. And Paris is still one of the world's most beautiful cities. Ordinary buildings that would be purely functional in other cities are elegant, with pretty balconies, interesting rooftops. And no sky scrapers in the city center so that Notre Dame , Les Invalides and the Eiffel Tower dominate the skyline. The tower lit up at night is spectacular.

And on a personal front yesterday was the day of steps--up to Sacre Coeur, down to metro stations, up from the Seine. And my legs held up--only just, I confess by the end of the evening, but that's a miracle in itself. I brought a collapsible cane with me but I'm not going to need it.

Today I'm wallowing in Monet. The Musee D'Orsay in the morning and a trip out to Monet's house at Giverny in the afternoon. So exited!

No comments:

Post a Comment