Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day



Molly Murphy wishes you all Top O' the Morning for St Patrick's Day.
But I have to confess I'm not a big fan of St Patrick's Day. it's not one of my favorite holidays. For one thing, I don't like corned beef and cabbage. Not too keen on Guiness. Also I associate it with people getting drunk and I have some less than stellar memories.




A few years ago my publisher came up with the brilliant idea of bringing me to New York to launch the new Molly book on St Patrick's Day. They set up events for me including one at the Police Museum, one at the SouthStreet seaport museum.

Good idea, right? The only trouble was that sane and normal people don't venture out in New York on St Patrick's Day when the streets are full of drunken men. So great venues, but nobody came. Lesson learned--some holidays are great to tie into, others not so great.

These days Molly is launched on March 1 (which happens to be St. David's Day--a much more sober festival invoving the wearing of daffodils or leeks but with no alcoholic connotations.

My favorite St Patrick's Days have been watching our little Meghan perform outside City Hall in San Francisco with her Irish Dance troupe. Now that's positive Irish energy.  So Happy St. Patrick's Day to you--however you choose to celebrate it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm an Irish dancer too and St. Patrick's Day is our busiest holiday. This year was the first year we put on a show. We danced to a sell out crowd and requests to make it an annual event. All the money went toward sending the girls who qualified to dance in the championships in Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this humorous post. I hope you and your family had a good St. Patrick's Day. Does Meghan know how to do an Irish jig? (This is a serious question, by the way. In my WIP a jig figures, and I've been visiting Irish dance sites to get a feel for it.)

    ReplyDelete