Saturday, August 28, 2010

Juggling Two Series

People often ask me how hard it is to juggle two series. Do I get get them mixed up and have Lady Georgie say what Molly would have said? The answer usually is no. When I'm writing one,I'm completely involved in that world. I'm living with Molly and Sid and Gus and crossing those busy New York streets. When I'm with Georgie, I'm into drawing rooms and afternoon tea. Most of the time I don't find it too hard, either and I actually believe that writing two such different books one after the other helps to keep my writing fresh.

However, there are times when this breaks down, and one of those times is NOW. As you know, I'm preparing for the launch of Royal Blood next week. I'm thinking out what I'll say in my speeches, which excerpts of the book I might read, which funny anecdotes of the British upper classes I might tell. And at the same time, I'm working hard to finish the next Lady Georgie book to meet my end of September deadline.

So my head is completely with Georgie at the moment. Imagine then my frustration when the copy edits for Bless the Bride, the next Molly book, arrived on my front doorstep yesterday. Due back by Sept 13, which means they have to be done NOW. So this morning I attempted to switch gears and be with Molly. But it is proving really hard to swing myself out of Lady Georgie's elegant life and into New York's Chinatown. My editor has scribbled little notes in the margin like, "You had her use these words a couple of pages ago. Could she say something different this time?" 
And I'm staring at the page thinking desperately "what would Molly Murphy say in a place like this?"\

It is a similar feeling to getting on a plane in San Franciso and stepping off in Tokyo or Honolulu--that feeling of not quite sure where I am or what I'm supposed to be doing. So, dear readers, please be patient with my next book. If you read that Molly suddenly says "Oh gosh, what a frightfully droll thing to have happened," it's Georgie taking over my head again.

And if you're counting down: it is Ten Days to the launch of ROYAL BLOOD.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know how you do it and make it look so effortless, Rhys. I find I get totally immersed in one time period and can't come up even to make dinner! I know you'll do a fab job on both books, and though I'll miss your September AZ dates, I hope to catch up with you soon.

    ReplyDelete