Sunday, July 11, 2010

Summer Sunday in the English countryside. Part 1

I'm celebrating a perfect English Sunday at Merthen Manor in Cornwall. Went to local church where relatives knew everybody and now anticipating a huge Sunday lunch--well over 20 people I believe. (yes, the table holds that many)The roast was almost too big for the Aga! Ah, this is what I miss in the US--the feeling of family togetherness and neighbors just dropping in and being welcomed and people and dogs wandering in an out just as it was in manor houses in the past. It is a great feeling of continuity and community that we sadly lack at home.
I'll post pictures as soon as I can find a moment of peace and quiet to get them downloaded.

5 comments:

  1. Lunch sounds wonderful. I'm not surprised. The culture that invents the concept of a local pub knows what social bonding is all about.
    I know that the only pubs I see are the ones on the tv, but still...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely photos, Rhys! Looking forward to a glimpse of the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we use to have SUnday dinners like that here in South Louisiana. Some Cajun grandma always cooked a huge pot of gumbo and anyone in town was always welcome to stop by for a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see photos...it sounds lovely! Makes me want to have a cuppa and read some Jane Austen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Rhys. Your family gathering sounds like it was a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete